Castle Art

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Castle Art

Castle Art

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Forum is for artists that have worked, are working, or will soon work at the Castle Art Studios. If you are not, you are welcome here, but it won't make any sence to you.

Get going!

Mister Sir
    Mister Sir
    Admin

Get going! Empty Get going!

Post  Mister Sir Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:33 pm

As soon as you walked through the doors of the studio on induction day, you started the A level course!

So, what should you do to get started?

There really is not that much difference between the work you need to do for art and for graphics - but there are some differences in the detail.

Fine Art.

This is what you need:

1. A scrap-book. In this book you will collect images that you find inspirational or that you get a response from. Stick in any image that you see that fits this bill. Jot down your thoughts. Why did you select that image? What do you like? If the image was made by someone, who made it? Does this image give you any ideas? Is it a signpost?

2. Practical workbook. I remember the first lesson at art college. The lecturer stood before us and said 'Draw, draw, draw, draw, draw, draw, draw draw.....etc.' For a full hour! It was the best lesson I ever had!
    So my advice to you is a little wider - This is what I want to chant to you for an hour: 'Make images, make images, make images, make images etc.'
    Use the workbook to record what you understand about what you see.
    Use you workbook to record you ideas and visions. Use the workbook to experiment with ideas and different media.

If you find yourself absent-mindedly drifting away while (say) watching the telly, waiting for a bus, yawning at another dull party - and you look down and realise that you have been drawing all the time, or obsessively taking photos without realising it - at that point you will realise that you ARE an artist.

Other advice: Go to galleries in the summer. Have a look around, but then spend at least 30 minutes looking at ONE piece of work. Then make notes. Scruffy, scribbly notes to yourself. What did you see, think, feel, understand. Back this up by finding out about the artist - what do you know about art?

GATHER IMAGES
    THINK ABOUT THE IMAGES YOU GATHER.

RESPOND TO WHAT YOU SEE.

THE BIG SECRET! This is how you do art: Look, think about what you see, make a practical response. It is a simple at that.
    However, what makes an artist is the depth of seeing, the depth of thinking and the skill of responding/making.

these qualities are all learnt, all the result of practice and process.

Graphics.

1. Scrapbook of images. Collect images that you think are interesting, striking, persuasive, technically impressive, eye catching. Images that you wish you had made! Show what sort of graphics you are interested in.
    Who made the image - which artist/studio? Make some notes. Find out about or analyse the techniques that have been used. Can you use these techniques in your own work?

2. Practical workbook. Start jotting down your ideas, make sketches, take 'thinking' photos. Draw, experiment with different media. Try out different techniques with different software packages. Photoshop, InDesign and just two of many software packaged that you can download and try for free over the Summer holidays. There is SO much information on the internet about graphics - step by step Photoshop tutorials, ideas, graphic artists talking about their work, online photography courses etc. etc. etc.
    ENGAGE!
    Try these out - print out the results of your experiments.

There is NO right way.

You will be insecure and nervious - 'Is this what he wants me to do?' 'Am I doing it right?' 'Will everyone laugh at what I do?' 'Will I be made to look inadequate/stupid?' 'I don't understand?'

Well, you can forget all that stuff. These are your own personal workbooks - as such you CANNOT get it wrong, everything you do is right, everything you do is exactly what you should be doing.

Just do it!

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 8:49 pm